Sunday, April 3, 2011

Organic Coke

"I would like a Diet Coke please"
"Sorry we don't have - but we do have organic Coke"
"... Organic? Coke?"

Upon hearing the words 'organic' and 'Coke' together, let alone in the same sentence, I was immediately intrigued and ordered a bottle with my lentil burger and side salad. It came in a glass bottle; 330 ml of certified organic cola. It was not from the Coca-cola company as I had foolishly expected, it was from a New Zealand brand that I had never heard of... Phoenix. Before I even sipped the drink, I checked it's ingredients. Astonishingly, there were only four; carbonated water, sugar, cola flavouring (from the cola - or kola - nut) and lemon concentrate. No weird additives or odd-sounding preservatives: I was reading a list of ingredients and not a science lesson.


Already impressed, the only thing left to do was try it. It didn't taste like Coca-cola - it tasted better. Imagine that satisfying fizzy sensation you can only get from a soft drink, but with a pure and natural taste. My teeth weren't coated with that squeaky layering of chemicals and I didn't feel like my body was consuming toilet cleaner. I was so blown away by this new cola drink I vowed to write about it and even took the bottle home with me.

So I've done a little research into who the company are and what they stand for. Phoenix Organics is only two years older than I. They began in 1986 with Phoenix Ginger Beer and now have a whole range of fizzy drinks, juices and mineral water. To top it all off, their product packaging is made from recycled bottles. Their vision, in detail on their website, is to only use sustainably and ethically obtained, organic products.


My bottle of Phoenix Cola cost SG$5 and it was worth every cent. Not only have I found a product that gives the Coca-cola company a run for its money (because lets face it - this corporate giant doesn't exactly have the environment or public health as it's number one priority), but is a completely guilt-free refreshment. Sold in most New Zealand stores, us internationals will have to look a little harder. You can find Phoenix products around Asia and in Australia (mostly in Sydney and Melbourne) - but as the company grows, so will its expanse. If you come across this product and like what they're doing... try it! You'll be supporting the good guys, your health AND the environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment